The fourth edition of this highly regarded book has been considerably enlarged to cover all aspects of cocoa production. Higher prices for cocoa have led to much new knowledge about the plant and changes to its methods of production.
Note on terminology.
List of Plates.
List of Figures.
List of Maps.
1. History and development (G.A. R. Wood).
2. Botany, types and populations (H. Toxopeus).
3. Environment (G.A.R. Wood).
4. Planting material (H. Toxopeus).
5. Propagation (G.A.R. Wood).
6. Establishment (G.A.R. Wood).
7. Shade and nutrition (M. Wessel).
8. Maintenance and improvement of mature cocoa farms (R. A. Lass).
9. Replanting and rehabilitation of old cocoa farms (R.A. Lass).
10. Labour usage (R. A. Lass).
11. Diseases (R. A. Lass).
12. Insects and cocoa (P. F. Entwistle).
13. From harvest to store (G.A.R. Wood).
14. Quality and inspection (G.A.R. Wood).
15. Marketing (A.P. Williamson).
16. Production (G.A.R. Wood).
17. Consumption and manufacture (G.A.R. Wood).
Appendix 1. Visual symptoms of mineral malnutrition.
Appendix 2. International Cocoa Standards.
Appendix 3. Conversion factors.
Appendix 4. Publications on cocoa.