A Companion to Samuel Beckett
Taking full advantage of the recent growth in Beckett studies, and its accompanying wealth of newly released archival sources, A Companion to Samuel Beckett provides a compreh
Introduction( Reviewing Beckett (S. E. Gontarski, Florida State University).
Part I( A Life in Letters.
1. A Writer s Homes A Writer s Life (James Knowlson, University of Reading).
2. Within a Budding Grove( Publishing Beckett in America (S. E. Gontarski, Florida State University).
3. Samuel Beckett and Waiting for Godot (Lois Gordon, Fairleigh Dickinson University).
4. Beginning to End: Publishing and Producing Beckett (Barney Rosset.
Part II: Charting Territories.
5. A Critique of Aesthetic Judgment: Beckett s Dissonance of Ends and Means (John Pilling, University of Reading.
6. The Legacy of Samuel Beckett: An Anatomy (H. Porter Abbott, University of California, Santa Barbara).
7. Beckett and Philosophy (Anthony Uhlmann, University of Western Sydney.
8. Philosophizing with Beckett: Adorno and Badiou (Jean Michel Rabaté , University of Pennsylvania).
9. Beckett and Ethics (Shane Weller, University of Kent at Canterbury).
10. Beckett and Germany in the 1930s: The Development of a Poetics (Mark Nixon, University of Reading.
11. Samuel Beckett and Science (C. J. Ackerley, University of Otago).
12. A Purgatorial Calculus (Beckett s Mathematics in Quad (Brett Stevens, Carleton University.
13. Beckett and Obsessional Ireland (David Pattie, University of Chester).
14. Beckett in French and English: Sinéad Mooney, National University of Ireland.
Part III: Acts of Fiction.
15. Beckett the Poet (Marjorie Perloff, Stanford University).
16. The Dream Poems: Poems in Personae (Sean Lawlor, University of Reading.
17. Figures of Script: The Development of Beckett s Short Prose and the Aesthetic of Inaudibilities (Dirk Van Hulle, University of Antwerp).
18. Molloy, or Life without a Chambermaid (Patrick A. McCarthy, University of Miami).
19. Malone Dies( Postmodernist Masculinity( Susan Mooney, University of South Florida).
20. The Knowing Non Exister ( Thirteen Ways of Reading Texts for Nothing (S. E. Gontarski and C. J. Ackerley, Florida State University and University of Otago).
21. What We Are Given to Mean( Endgame( Paul Shields, Assumption College).
22. In the Old Style, Yet Anew( Happy Days in the AfterBeckett( William Hutchings, University of Alabama).
Part IV : Acts of Performance.
23. Beckett s Production of Waiting for Godot, Warten auf Godot) (David Bradby, Royal Holloway, University of London).
24. The Seated Figure on Beckett s Stage (Enoch Brater, University of Michigan).
25. Clowning with Beckett (Mary Bryden, University of Reading).
26. Down, All Going Down : The Spiral Structure of Beckett s Theater (Xerxes Mehta, University of Maryland) .
27. Beckett on Television (Graley Herren, Xavier University).
28. Staging Beckett in Spain: Theater and Politics (Antonia Rodríguez Gago, University Autónoma of Madrid).