What is psychoanalytic criticism and how can it be justified as a type of criticism in its own right? In this new and thoroughly revised edition of her classic textbook, Elizabeth Wright provides a cogent answer to this question and a wide ranging introduction to psychoanalytic criticism from Freud to the present day.
Part One. .
1. Classical Psychoanalysis: Freud.
2. Classical Freudian Criticism: Id Psychology.
3. Post Freudian Criticism: Ego Psychology.
4. Archetypal Criticism: Jung and the Collective Unconscious.
5. Object Relations Theory: Self and Other.
Part Three. .
6. Structural Psychoanalysis: Psyche as Text.
7. Post structural Psychoanalysis: Text as Psyche.
Part Four. .
8. Psychoanalysis and Ideology I: Focus on Subversion.
9. Psychoanalysis and Ideology II: Focus on Dialectic.
10. Feminist Psychoanalytic Criticism.