Modern Irish Theatre
Through analysis of both major Irish dramas and the artists and companies that performed them, Modern Irish Theatre provides an engaging and accessible introduction to 20th century Irish theatre: its origins, dominant themes, relationship to politics and culture, and influence on theatre movements around the world.
Timeline of Significant Events in Irish Arts and Politics.
Part I: Performing the Nation, 1891 1916.
Introduction to Part I.
1 Imagining an Aesthetic: Modern Irish Theatre s First Years.
2 Realisms and Regionalisms.
Part II: War and After, 1916 1948.
Introduction to Part II.
3. The Abbey Becomes Institution, 1916 1929.
4. New Voices of the 1930s and 1940s.
Part III: Rewriting Tradition, 1948 1980.
Introduction to Part III.
5. Irish Theatre in the 1950s.
6. Irish Theatre s Second Wave.
Part IV: Re imagining Ireland, 1980 2007.
Introduction to Part IV.
7. Theatres Without Borders: Irish Theatre in the 1980s.
8. A New Sense of Place: Irish Theatre since the 1990s.
Conclusion: What is an Irish Play?.