Engaging Large Classes
Strategies and Techniques for College Faculty
Large classes have become a fact of life in colleges and universities across America; even as academic funding has decreased, class enrollments have continued to rise.
About the Contributors.
Topic Location Guide.
Part One: Key Concepts.
Chapter 1. Course Design for Large Classes: A Learning-Centered Approach (Judith Grunert O`Brien).
Chapter 2. That`s Not a Large Class; It`s a Small Town: How Do I Manage? (Lynda G. Cleveland).
Chapter 3. Planning and Assessing Large Classes (Michael Theall and Raoul A. Arreola).
Chapter 4. Promoting Civility in Large Classes (Mary Deane Sorcinelli).
Chapter 5. Engaging Students Actively in Large Lecture Settings (Peter J. Frederick).
Chapter 6. Team Learning in Large Classes (Larry K. Michaelsen).
Chapter 7. Learning in the Dark: Applying Classroom Technology to Large Lecture Formats (Michael Smilowitz and Anne S. Gabbard-Alley).
Chapter 8. Teaching for Inclusion (Mathew L. Ouellett).
Chapter 9. Working with Teaching Assistants and Undergraduate Peer Facilitators to Address the Challenges of Teaching Large Classes (Jean Civikly-Powell and Donald H. Wulff).
Chapter 10. Maintaining Intimacy : Strategies for the Effective Management of TAs in Innovative Large Classes (Leta F. Deithloff).
Chapter 11.Teaching the Large Class: An Administrator`s Perspective (J. Douglas Andrews).
Chapter 12. Teaching Large Classes: A Brief Review of the Research (Christine A. Stanley and M. Erin Porter).
Part Two: Examples Across the Disciplines.
1. What I Wish I had Known Before I Taught a Large Class (Emily Hoover).
2. A Management Lesson (Steven Tomlinson).
3. Eleven Very Basic Tips for Teaching Large Business Classes (Tom Campbell).
4. Teaching Large Classes in Pharmacy Practice (James McAuley and Marialice Bennett).
5. Teaching Large Classes in Veterinary Medicine (Laurie A. Jaeger and Deborah Kochevar).
6. Making Large Classes Small Through Creative Teaching (John R. Hoyle).
7. A Learning-Focused Approach to a Large-Section Engineering Course (Robert Lundquist).
8. Getting Students in a Technical Class Involved in the Classroom (Doug Jacobson).
9. Managing Discussion in Large Classes (J. Dennis Huston).
10. Defying the Norms: Teaching Large Law School Classes in Accordance with Good Pedagogy (Derrick Bell).
11. Mathematics and the Large Class: Meeting and Mastering the Challenge (Nancy J. Simpson).
12. Strength in Numbers: Making the Large Chemistry Lecture Class Work (Brian P. Coppola).
13. What My Students Have Taught Me (Brent L. Iverson).
14. Large-Class Instruction: Having a Private Conversation in a Crowded Room (James H. Stith).
Social and Behavioral Sciences.
15. Personalizing the Large Class in Psychology (Richard P. Halgin and Christopher E. Overtree).
16. Teaching Social Science to a Small Society (Linda B. Nilson).
17. Transforming the Horde (Robin Nagle).
Summary of Key Concepts for Teaching Large Classes (M. Erin Porter and Christine A. Stanley).