A Cultural History
This book provides a comprehensive account of the cutlural history of English drama. Drawing upon new empirical research and the latest theoretical models, Shepherd and Womack show how the character of a given theatrical age , as traditionally described, is packed with contradictions and uneven in development.
User s Guide.
1. Medieval Theatre.
2. The Beginning of the Story of Drama.
3. Renaissance Drama.
4. The Image of Elizabethan Drama.
5. Restoration Comedy.
6. Bawdy, Manners and the English National Character.
8. The Unacceptable Face of Drama.
10. You Make Me Feel Mighty Real : Proper Drama.
11. Post War British Theatre and the State.
12. Drama in the Age of Television.
Chronological List of Plays.