Psychoanalysis and Culture
Contemporary States of Mind
Accessibly written and includes plenty of up to date examples such as the impact of the death of the Princess of Wales.
Part One: Psychoanalytic Perspectives.
1. Freud: Sexuality and the Unconscious.
2. Klein: Phantasy and Reparation.
3. Winnicott: Creativity and the Nurturing Mother.
4. Lacan: the Unconscious as Language.
Part Two: Control or Containment?: Making Sense of Experience.
5. Difference: the Fluidity of Gender.
6. Womb envy and Women as Too Much of a Good Thing .
7. The Psychical Significance of Fathers.
8. The Unconscious Roots of Violence.
9. Consuming Goods .
10. Fragrant Theory and the Sweet Scent of Signifiers.