Transgressing the Modern
Explorations in the Western Experience of Otherness
This book provides the most concise, accessible account yet available of modern Western cultural and social explorations of other forms or aspects of life that are devalued or coded as unacceptable, even unthinkable, in the modern ethos.
Part I: The Civilising Imperative.
1. Carnival Pleasures and The Spectre of Misrule.
2. Manners and Morals: The Civilisation of Culture.
Part II: Modernity and its Others.
3. Exotic Encounters: Savagery, Civilisation and the Imperial Other.
4. The Alienated Mind: Reason and The Exile of Madness.
5. Modernity s Sphinx: Woman as Nature and Culture.
6. The Rape and Romance of Nature .
7. Forbidden Desires: Taboo, Transgression and Sexuality.
Part III: Continuities, Challenges, Transformations.
8. Blacks, Whites and Hybrids.
9. Postmodern Possibilities: Alienating The Modern.
Guide to Further Reading.