Research on Evaluation
New Directions for Evaluation, Number 148
This issue broaden the field s understanding of Research on Evaluation (RoE) in practice, with a focus on empirical RoE.
EDITORS NOTES 3
1. Research-on-Evaluation Articles Published in the American Journal of Evaluation, 1998 2014 7
The authors present a summary of the research-on-evaluation articles that were published during a 14-year period in the American Journal of Evaluation (the American Evaluation Association s flagship journal), categorized by several descriptive characteristics.
2. Methodological Trends in Research on Evaluation 17
The authors examine themes in the empirical literature on evaluation methodologies published in the American Journal of Evaluation since 1998 and consider directions for future research on evaluation methods.
3. Research on Evaluation Ethics: Reflections and an Agenda 31
The author presents an overview of key findings from research on evaluation ethics during the past quarter century and offers suggestions for making ethics research more useful for evaluation practice.
4. Advancing Research on Evaluation Through the Study of Context 43
The authors describe a framework that seeks to organize ideas for conducting research on evaluation context and use it as a basis to generate ideas for possible studies of context.
5. Using Action Design Research to Research and Develop Evaluation Practice 57
In this chapter, the author proposes the use of Action Design Research as a case-based, practical reasoning oriented methodology for self-corrective, real-time improvement of evaluation practice.
6. Assessing the Practice Impact of Research on Evaluation 73
The authors propose an approach that might be used to evaluate the impact of research on evaluation in practice.
7. Evaluators Perspectives on Research on Evaluation 89
In this chapter, the authors report the methods and results of a questionnaire survey that addressed evaluators attitudes toward, beliefs about, and knowledge of research on evaluation (RoE); time and opportunities to participate in RoE; application of RoE findings; and involvement in RoE.
8. Reflections on the Future of Research on Evaluation 103
In this chapter, the authors reflect on the potential future of research on evaluation and offer suggestions for the increased implementation and use of research on evaluation theory and practice.